The US “Puts Moderate Restrictions on Religious Freedom
Despite the first amendment stating that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,” 225 years later, “the United States places a ‘moderate’ level of restrictions on religious practice compared to the other countries in the world. According to Pew, the U.S. saw a marked increase in hostility toward religion starting in 2009, and this level remained consistent in the following years.”
America has harsher restrictions than roughly 130 other countries. Places allegedly more free than the U.S. include Serbia, Haiti, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo—not exactly traditional strongholds of democracy.
Sexual Freedom As A Secular Sacrament
Rod Dreher comments on the campaign to ban male circumcision in Scandanavia.
1. This illustrates that the claim frequently made by secular liberals that their worldview is values-neutral and therefore more just is a sham. It’s not that secular liberals are morally wrong in any of their particular claims, but only that they are wrong, and self-deceptive, to claim that their values are in any sense neutral.
2. It is telling that the reason the Scandinavian doctor gives for suppressing traditional Jewish and Muslim practice is that it stands to decrease sexual pleasure later in life….For many secular liberals, sexual freedom and pleasure is the summum bonum of life, and must be privileged above all else, including religious liberty.
3. If my country should ever threaten my right to practice the fundamentals of my religion as Scandinavian countries are threatening their Jewish and Muslim citizens, it will become my enemy. That will not mean civil war, as it once did in the US, but if a significant number of Americans come to think of their government as an enemy of their faith — and I think this day is coming, in my lifetime — we will be living in interesting times.
Cancer Tidal Wave Coming Warns WHO
The globe is facing a “tidal wave” of cancer, and restrictions on alcohol and sugar need to be considered, say World Health Organization scientists.
It predicts the number of cancer cases will reach 24 million a year by 2035, but half could be prevented.
The WHO said there was now a “real need” to focus on cancer prevention by tackling smoking, obesity and drinking. The WHO’s World Cancer Report 2014 said the major sources of preventable cancer included:
- Obesity and inactivity
- Radiation, both from the sun and medical scans
- Air pollution and other environmental factors
- Delayed parenthood, having fewer children and not breastfeeding
The World’s Smallest Engine Runs on an Atom
And if you need a bit of a “pick-me-up” after cancer, sexual freedom, and restrictions on religious freedom, marvel at this incredible illustration of Psalm 8 dominion.
Evangelicals: Alone and Exiled in Hollywood
A discussion of the double standards in Hollywood that led to banning Joni’s song from Oscar consideration. Considering the morals in the vast majority of Oscar winning films…
It’s almost funny to see how incensed the Academy can be and how finely wrought the ethical code of the left-leaning organization can be when it comes to evangelicals, a group they routine despise, ridicule, or reject outright. All it takes is a mere whisper of sin exposed by some columnist, and a song about God is suddenly toxic, yanked from consideration for an award.
And how about this for a conclusion:
There is no use singing to the deaf. Especially when they are programmed not to hear anything but their own voices.