Before heading off for our Thanksgiving Service this morning, I thought I would just sit at my desk for 30 minutes and quickly record all the mercies I am thankful to God for.
- God. Yes, I’m thankful to God for God. I owe everything to Him. Thankful for my gracious Father’s daily care, for my gracious Savior’s salvation, and my gracious Spirit’s preserving and sanctifying. So thankful that God is my best friend.
- Family. Words fail. You all know my heart.
- Life. Thankful that God spared my life this year when multiple blood clots filled my lungs.
- Lessons: Thankful for all the life-transforming lessons that the Lord taught me through my illness. Thankful for a slower and more enjoyable mindset and lifestyle
- Preaching. Still the greatest passion of my heart. So thankful for continued opportunities to preach the Gospel, and especially to regularly serve in the local Free Reformed Church. That means SO much to me.
- Seminary. Thankful for my Faculty
colleaguesfriends: Joel, Jerry, and Bill. Grateful for your new role, Henk. And indeed very thankful for all the staff. Thankful for a fantastic bunch of students from all over the world. Looking forward to seeing some of you this evening in our home. Thankful for the generous and prayerful support of all our Seminary friends and partners.
- HeadHeartHand Media. Thank you, David Faasse, for making this possible and for your encouraging and stimulating friendship. Thanks, Dirk, for putting your creative gifts at the service of Christ’s Church. Thanks to Nathan Bingham and Cameron for transforming our web presence. Thanks to all who have given generous support and encouragement in our first year.
- Blog. I can’t believe how much I enjoy blogging. Thanks, Michael DeWalt, for pushing and pushing me. Thankful for all I’ve learned about writing and communicating in this format. And sooooooo thankful for all who stop by to read and interact with my musings.
- Church. Very grateful for my faithful pastors at Heritage Reformed Church. Also for the elders, deacons, and everyone who puts so much into our church community. Been especially edified by Pastor Vanderzwaag’s series on Job.
- Friends. Thankful for the life-enhancing, soul-enriching friendship of Tim Challies, Steven Lee, Chris Larson, Burk Parsons, David & Ann Faasse, Gary Timmer, Gary Kwekel, Rich Ten Elshof, Nate Engelsma, Don & Liz Deater, and so many more…
- Bloggers. So thankful for the daily soul-blessing labors of Tim Challies, Kevin DeYoung, Bob Kellemen, Jeremy Walker, Justin Taylor, Trevin Wax, the Ligonier team, and Barry York & co. Deeply appreciate your sacrificial service.
- Apple: Enjoying reading through Steve Jobs bio just now and being reminded of how God in His providence prepared this gifted man to serve His World and His people. Thankful to God for His genius reflected in Jobs life & work. After years of resistance to AT&T charges, I finally succumbed to the Apple iPhone this year. However, thus far, Siri has been more entertaining than helpful.
- Fishing. God is so good in allowing fishing to continue after Genesis 3! It’s been great to pick up the rod again and re-discover the soul-soothing joys of river-fishing for king salmon and steelhead.
- Skiing. Well, what else is there to do in Michigan for the next four months?
I could go on, but I have to go to our Thanksgiving service now! Have a happy and holy day.