The Barna Group has published some fascinating research into the book buying habits of pastors. Highlights include:
- There are about 300,000 Protestant pastors in the USA.
- These pastors buy an average of 3.8 books per month per person.
- 92% of them buy at least one book per month (compared with 29% of general population).
- They buy between 8-13 million books a year.
- Younger pastors buy more books than older pastors.
- Most books are bought with a particular ministry topic in mind.
- The other main factors in a purchase decision are author or recommendation.
- Spirituality, theology, and leadership are the most popular topics.
- 50% of pastors are reading biographies and 33% are consuming business books.
- Christian retail stores and online are the two primary channels of purchase.
- Although 50% of pastors use an e-reader, most pastors still prefer a hard copy.
- More than 90% of pastors make book recommendations to their congregations.
You can read the whole report here.
HT: Joel Miller