Few of us realize the power of the tongue for good or for evil. We therefore don’t maximize the good our tongue can do. But we also minimize the damage our tongue can do
Our tongue has a major impact on our lives and on many lives. It is the influencer of the year in many ways. So how can we maximize the good and minimize the evil? Let’s see how James gets the balance right in James 3:3-8.
1. YOUR TINY TONGUE CAN ACCOMPLISH SO MUCH
- Big horses are controlled by tiny bridle (3)
- Big ships are controlled by tiny rudders (4)
- Big people are controlled by a tiny tongue (5a)
A tiny tongue can be a big blessing. It’s wonderful how much good a little piece of flesh can do. So, should we just let it loose?
2. YOUR TINY TONGUE CAN DESTROY SO MUCH
- A tiny tongue can start a big fire (5b-6)
- A tiny tongue is an untamable beast (7-8a)
- A tiny tongue can be like cyanide (8b)
A tiny tongue can cause terrible trauma. It’s horrendous how much damage a little piece of flesh can do isn’t it?
LIVING THE BIBLE
Recognize how much our tongue can accomplish/destroy and use it for good not evil.
PRAYING THE BIBLE
We praise you, Lord Jesus, for your perfect tongue. Your tongue has accomplished so much good and never done any harm.
In contrast, we confess that we have accomplished so little with our tongues and done so much damage. Our tongues have burned like a fire, savaged like a beast, and poisoned like cyanide. We ask you to forgive us for Jesus sake.
Going forward, help us to recognize how much terrible trauma we can inflict with our tongues and stop us. Help us to recognize how much good we can accomplish and help us to do it. Especially help us to speak your truth to recover and rebuild lost sinners. Amen.