We often value and evaluate people by their financial value.
- We favor the rich
- We despise the poor
- We pursue financial value
- We forget spiritual value
This was a problem in biblical times too. But James addressed it in a surprising way. Let’s hear James’s surprising double answer to this problem in James 1:9-11.
1. LET THE POOR BOAST IN THEIR FUTURE RICHES (9)
- The lowly brother’s exaltation: “Let the lowly brother boast in his exaltation” (9). Why? Because God sees the spiritual value of his poor children and their future riches.
- The lowly brother’s exultation: ““Let the lowly brother boast” (9). Boast in God’s valuation of you.
Summary: Your savings may be very low, but God’s saving lifts you high.
Question: That’s all very well for the poor, but what if I’m rich?
2. LET THE RICH BE HUMBLED BY THEIR FADING RICHES (10-11)
- The rich person’s fading: “Let the rich boast in his humiliation, because like a flower of the grasshe will pass away. For the sun rises with its scorching heat and withers the grass; its flower falls, and its beauty perishes. So also will the rich man fade away in the midst of his pursuits” (10-11). The rich and their wealth are passing away
- The rich person’s humbling: “Let the rich boast in his humiliation” (10). Be humbled by God’s valuation of your riches and by their passing away and you’ll be a spiritual billionaire.
Summary: The rich are flattered and feted, but their riches are fading and falling.
LIVING THE BIBLE
Value and evaluate yourself and one another by spiritual value not financial value.
PRAYING THE BIBLE
You, Lord, are rich beyond all measure and therefore value people differently to us.
We confess that we often value and evaluate people by their financial value. We favor the rich, despise the poor, pursue financial value, and forget spiritual value.
If we are materially poor, help us to boast in our future heavenly riches. If we are materially rich help us to be humbled by our fading riches.
We praise you, Lord, because you evaluate us based on spiritual value not financial value. Help us therefore to lay up treasure in heaven especially when our treasure on earth is fading fast.
Thank you for Jesus Christ who though he was rich, for our sakes became poor, that we through his poverty might become rich. Amen.