In 1 Timothy 1:6-11, the Apostle Paul provides a heart scanner for false teachers in order to show Timothy the danger of false teachers and persuade him to take decisive action against them in order to protect the Gospel for the good of souls. View them as a terrorist threat in order to overcome your timidity and tackle them head-on.
THEOLOGICAL TERRORISTS HAVE HATEFUL HEARTS (6a)
They have swerved away from:
- A pure heart
- A good conscience
- Sincere faith
False teaching begins with a false heart.
Why do they do this?
THEOLOGICAL TERRORISTS HAVE SELFISH AIMS (6b-7)
- Vain discussion: Multiple words with minimal value
- Ambitious aims: Want positions of prestige and power
- Arrogant self-confidence: Confident but clueless
Our words inflate us, but God’s word deflates us.
What’s their main tactic?
THEOLOGICAL TERRORISTS ABUSE THE BIBLE (8-9a)
- A good use of the law is to convict of sin (8)
- A bad use of the law is academic speculation (9a)
The Bible is to convict of sin, not create sin.
What’s the effect of all this?
THEOLOGICAL TERRORISTS DESTROY NEEDY SOULS (9b-11)
- Sinners are not convicted of their sin (9b-10)
- Sinners do not hear or want the glorious Gospel (11)
If you get the law wrong, you’ll get the Gospel wrong.
LIVING THE BIBLE
Overcome timidity by seeing false teachers as theological terrorists who abuse the Bible and destroy souls.